View Single Post
Old 05-09-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
I did the upgrade in early 2017, and while it isn't possible to describe how the upgrade will affect the performance of your specific components, I can briefly describe how I think the sound changed in my system.

Obviously, there was about a month between sending the Triton and then receiving it after being upgraded, so A-B comparisons weren't possible.

But my impression after plugging the Triton V3 back into my system was that the sound was slightly less warm and slightly more precise/cool. Perhaps the sound was more neutral and revealing.

I wish I could have A-B compared the two versions because I couldn't swear to it, given the time that elapsed between listening.

Without that comparison, and to be totally frank, I was underwhelmed. I was happy before the upgrade and I was happy after the upgrade, so I'm not sure where it got me.

If a more revealing/neutral presentation and additional clarity is important to you, I might suggest upgrading to the Sigma NR cable for your Triton V2, as the change from the Sigma HC was large in my system. I'm of the opinion that the change in the power cable was larger than the change from the Trition V2 to V3. YMMV.

The looming question, however, is what the Typhon QR can add to the musical presentation. It's an enormous expense that I need to read feedback for and descriptions of.

I do think the regular Typhon is great connected to the Triton and on a separate circuit with my amps - I have 2 of them. If I get the Typhon QR, I'll use the 2 original Typhons on my amp circuit.

If you don't have a Typhon, that may even be a better investment than the V2 to V3 upgrade. The used prices for the Typhon are fairly reasonable compared to what the new Typhon QR is going to list for.
Pardon my ignorance, please. Is the original Typhon upgradable to the Typhon QR?