View Single Post
Old 03-11-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New guy View Post
Ken,

Maybe ARC can implement a selector switch to switich between 2 or 4 6H30 tubes😀. I have had my CD9 now for about 4 years and I like it a bit more than the K03. Recently got the REF6 and it's definitely better the ref 5se.

Rich
Hi Rich,

That is a great idea, I really like it. I agree that the Ref 6 preamp is significantly better than the Ref 5SE. It is much more transparent with greater dynamic capabilities. This is what I want in a preamp. It should just step out of the way and let the music come through.

But having tried the ARC Ref CD-9 Player as the source in my system with its Ref 5SE analog gain stage, I appreciate the analog-like presentation it provides and how it takes the digital edge off many recordings. So having the ability to switch back and forth between the more transparent Ref 6 analog gain stage and the more forgiving Ref 5SE analog gain stage could be the perfect solution.

However, I suspect that with the popularity of the Ref 6 preamp that ARC will choose to combine its analog gain stage with the DAC9's new digital circuitry to create a new Ref DAC. I just hope they provide a volume control bypass this time around.

Best,
Ken