View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post

hobie1dog.......I agree with you about gear you no longer want or use as long as it isn't a component with a decent resale value that can easily be converted into usable capital for another audio purchase.

Five years ago I gave my neighbor an entire home theater setup when I began upgrading mine. It included a Yamaha surround receiver, JBL and Infinity speakers, a subwoofer, and a Pioneer DVD player. I helped him install it in his living room where he and his wife still enjoy it today. Every time I visit them I am pleased to see the system still working.

I gave away my old pair of JBL L100's to my brother years ago, and to another friend I gave two Blu-ray players, one of them passed along just a couple weeks ago. It is fun to know the gear will continue to make someone happy.

I do the same with old computers. I wipe the hard drives clean, reinstall the operating system and give them away. I have given two computers with printers and monitors to local churches, and two other computers, printers and monitors to friends in need. It is better to do that than to see this stuff in a landfill, and helping someone else is rewarding.

A couple years ago AA member Gary Protein gave me a McIntosh MA230 integrated amplifier that had belonged to his father. Gary had stored the MA230 in his basement for 30 years. He read a post I made about lamenting selling an MA230 back in the 70's and offered the integrated amplifier to me as a gift. Giving and receiving is great fun.
Great stories Dan. I change my work computers ever three years and hand the old ones out as well. Some still in use 5 years after I gave them away.