Thread: Lyngdorf RP-1
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Dan, I got it. Thank you for your time and patience. Wouldn't the Lyngdorf RP-1 do the same thing in the chain that you've just described?

I've read as much as I could find online about the RP-1, and most peoe say that they cannot detect any overt coloration at all. The RP-1 actually has a little bit better specs than the MEN220, as far as THD, etc., but I don't know if that translates into anything audible.

Well, I'm still trying to see if the RP-1 can be run before my DAC, so I'm checking out some pro-audio solution. I don't know why I do this to myself, but it's kind of fun (mostly).
I use a Lyngdorf TDAI2200 as a preamp and Room Correction. The volume of digital signal is changed by toroidal power supply as a pure digital signal. I then feed digital out to my DAC. DAC volume is fixed. XLR attach to the McIntosh mono blocks.
I spent time emailing Lyngdorf support. The same trick is available to sub crossover. The RP-1 and MEN are similar. The DP-1 and TDAI2200 or TDAI2170 all work same way. The TDAI2170 offers Intercomponent Clipping Control (ICC) to correct clipped recordings and ability to have two different Speaker system room calibration. The TDAI are the way to go. i use Lyngdorf class D digital amp outputs to drive pool speakers in another area. Amps are very very good but run out of grunt compared to Quad Balances Mcintosh amps.

I would trade RP-1 for a TDAI or DP-1. The dynamic range and clarity not converting signal until it is fed to amps is amazing and you can use the Lyngdorf DAC or your own boutique DAC. I prefer my differential DAC over The excellent Lyngdorf DAC. The aftermarket DAC is oh so beautiful in sound.