View Single Post
Old 12-24-2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
S1, in regard to amplification, I have heard the Q3's in the same room with the same amps and front end equipment as the S5's (ie: Dart, Soulution & Vitus). To clarify, I think the Q3 is the better sounding speaker in technical terms. It uses all-Nano-Tec drivers, a better crossover, better cabinet etc. I was making 3 main points. Firstly that imho the Q3 is not "much better" than the S5 as Alon described. My second main point was that, imho the S5's are better "all rounders" with a wider variety of music, applications, systems, and rooms (being easier to place than Q3). And thirdly, that I believe the S5's have better (deeper, more solid) low & mid bass (which is so important in creating a foundation in music). Though remember ultimately it comes down to musical preferences and system synergy. I can understand why some customers would prefer the Q3, and others would prefer the S5. They are quite different, but in technical terms not that far apart.
Hi David,

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I'm thinking of auditioning the S5 and Q3. As you know, I'm primarily a jazz guy, preferring jazz vocals, jazz piano and small jazz combos. However, I do enjoy cranking up the Eagles or Santana every now and then.

Out of the following preamp/amp combinations, which would recommend most for my audition with the S5 and Q3?

Arcam
ADA
Cary
Classe
HD Micromega
Heed
Integra
Hegel
Lexicon
Marantz
McIntosh
Rotel