View Single Post
Old 04-19-2019, 01:51 PM

I hope many will read the Stereophile review. Basically, the 462 is a 500 W/ch stereo amp that will compete favorably sound and spec wise with any 500 watt stereo amp on the planet. Cosmetically, it has no peer. It is both beautiful and functional. I find the meters very useful. I try to listen to my Alexx between 1.2 and 12 watts unless I realy want to crank it up but never over 120.

However, the Thor is very different. For example I was watching Aquaman. The low frequency effects of this movie are amazing. I noticed this from the outset. I had the volume set on 45 which just about brought down my room. During the fight between King Orm and Aquaman at about the midpoint in the movie the needle flew past 1,200 watts. It was difficult to appreciate there was a particularly low note that set the needle off. The whole fight was quite loud and amazing in terms of sound effects both low and higher frequency. It surprised me. I don't want to damage my system. I turned the volume down to 44. My Alex were hitting 240. I would never have know this without the Mac meters. I want the movie to be loud but under no circumstances to damage my speakers. Clipping can do this.

Dag meters are very insensitive I understand and basically useless for this reason. Mac meters are extremely sensitive and therefore very useful. To develop their meters from scratch would add thousands of dollars to a rival amp. Ditto for autoformers, etc. You get so much more with a Mac amp than any other amp but competition and opposing opinions make the world go round. I want folks to buy and love their gear. It makes my Mac gear all the more special.

Last edited by Charles; 04-19-2019 at 02:05 PM.