View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 11:31 AM

I've the last couple weeks I've had a chance to try 4 different C19 terminated cables to connect my Audioquest Niagara 5000 to the wall.

I have had my trusty Venom HC, a Taipan Alpha Helix, Zitron Python and now an Alpha NR. Each one has had subtle differences.

My my system, the Taipan resulted in a reduction in bass weight, but an improvement in smoothness compared to the Venom. Not sure why. Venom HC and the Taipan are the same gauge, but way different geometry and build.

Next was the Zitron Python - better than the Taipan Alpha. My impressions were that it again improved bass "speed", rhythmic quality and retained some of the smoothness/warmth. Maybe this is illustrative of the Zitron and VTX design. This cable was well-used in terms of hours, but also had been out of any active use for a while.

My dealer offered the Python at 1/2 price. Seems fair considering the original cost. I put a few dozen hours on the Python and felt it was good but something was missing or at least, it wasn't making me feel like spending $1000.00 over the Venom or Taipan.

I took the Python back, exchanged for the Alpha NR which was pulled straight off the display and fully broken in. Immediate impressions, even as an umbilical for a power conditioner is that it's quieter and there's more synergy in my setup. We listened to a few hours of music off Tidal - all good, nothing amiss or lacking. We also watched Annihilation (Natalie Portman) - so/so movie but great sound mixing and lots of thunder and other low-frequency effects. The Alpha NR seems to give more to my system - clarity, bass weight, definition... at least that's my impression.

The rest of my power cords are Alpha HC and (1) Delta NR for the DAC. I think the NR is a keeper but I have a couple more days with it on loan to decide.