Thread: Sony HAP-Z1ES
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Quick update on the HAP-Z1ES I have set up for a friend and on using the USB output. The question has been whether or not it would work with a DAC that requires ASIO drivers such as the Esoteric/TEAC DACs that I own.

I have the Sony connected to my vintage system in SC running by coax into my McIntosh C35 and via WW Platinum Starlight USB into a TEAC UD-503. Of course, it sounds great via the coax. I continue to impressed with the electronics inside the Sony.

You must make two changes for the Sony USB output to work. First, in the 'Settings' - 'Audio settings' sub-menu, you must set 'USB Digital Output' to 'Auto' and Second you must set 'DSD Output (DoP) to 'On'.

Using the USB output works well streaming all my 16 and 24 Bit FLAC and DSD files. I didn't really have time to do a detailed comparison of the DACs of the Sony (coax) versus the TEAC (USB). While it does not stream DSD natively, I am impressed that Sony has provided the capability to use external DACs.
Attachment 49730
My TEAC displays this while streaming DSD files from the Sony USB output.
Attachment 49731
Hey just found this thread. Got a question. When you say Coax from the Sony, what do you mean? I thought it just had the Analogue RCA or XLR?

Just making sure I understand what You are saying I tried to use the USB into my McIntosh C2600 after the firmware update and it won't work. But thats the issue with the c2600 I think.