View Single Post
Old 03-03-2016, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
I don't know much about their amps... I just have all kinds of confidence in EJ and crew. He told me that the control levels at lower volume is about the same as the old amps, just the new ones do go a lot higher.

The gain on the amp is a tad annoying but not terribly so. I have plenty of control at low levels, especially with the Rothwells inline. But it is oh so good sounding ...

Does the DAC you're using have DSD? I know some people say they don't hear a difference, but for me it is night and day better. PCM files are a tad harsher and just a bit muddier, to my ears. Not that they are bad, but I can tell immediately when I have a DSD on. This is the case on both the Teac and the W4S DAC...

I just looked it up.... unless I missed it I don't think it has DSD. If you ever get a chance to run DSD through the system I think you might be surprised...

BTW... KEF won me over back in my old days a long time ago. I had a pair of Reference 104aB speakers... they would eat up a cheap amp but oh did they sound good with a proper amp... (not talking quantity, but quality... I had a 25 WPC McIntosh tube amp that drove them fine... this photo is Audionics mono amps)....

I found this photo of my old system a while back... oh, btw, here is a photo of that TT... my favorite, and last TT ever....
As long as you have the gain under control with those Rothwell attenuators, you shouldn't have any worries then, which is a good thing of course.

No, the DAC in the P5 doesn't do DSD, but the one in the Halo Integrated does. In fact, it does all of the DSD (64, 128, 256). I wish they had put that DAC in the P5. Either way, the one in the P5 still sounds outstanding. It's a very impressive little performer. I still think I'm going to eventually get that Teac that you have, the UD-501, but that won't be for some time.

I often wondered what those old 104aB's sounded like. They still have a big following today. People love them!

That was a darn nice TT you had! Wow! What was it again? It's hard to believe you gave it up. Also, I think I spy a Nakamichi 680 or 681 ZX in that photo, as well as an old top-loading VCR! Now that's going back a few years... LOL