View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gillespie View Post
Thanks, Racetripper. For more mass, what would you mix with the sand? And how much of your stands would you fill? Eg, 3/4 way up? I may just take out the lead (in double plastic bags that are quite thick and sealed well) and replace them. I tried to put sand in originally. Bought Playsand and let it dry out for days in the California sun, but it still wouldn't go into the plastic bags, and there was some residual moisture in the sand so I didn't want to risk putting it bare into the speaker columns (which actually didn't seal completely tightly at the bottom; and this includes an extra pair of columns that Dynaudio sent me gratis)
When I filled my stands I put the sand directly in the sealed columns, and filled them all the way. For the columns with the holes that require bags. I used a funnel to siphon the sand into the bag. A little patience works, but I had them filled nearly all the way (run your speaker cable thru first of course).

Once I had them filled, sealed, and positioned, the columns only gave a nice solid thud when tapped. No ringing at all. I didn't mix anything with the sand. That seemed massive enough to me.