View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpritz View Post
Is the Sooloos still a good unit 5-6 years later?
Currently using a Bryston BDP-2 and wondering if the Sooloos 15 would be in the same league or better?
I think it's still a good unit for its convenience and sound but I don't think there is much support for it from Meridian itself. There are dealers who can help. Not familiar with the Bryston player so I can't say how it compares to that. The Sooloos 15s I've heard sounded great. There some consensus around the idea that you want to separate the Computer (Sooloos 15 in this case) from your DAC using a network. So for best sound quality, you may be looking at an endpoint that the Sooloos 15 would stream to, which in turn is plugged in to your DAC. Rather to rather than having your DAC directly plugged to the Sooloos 15 via SPDIF

Quote:
Is it possible to stream spotify to the Sooloos 15 from my MAC or am I limited to Tidal only?
The Sooloos 15 doesn't support Spotify. There is a new unit in the works by Meridian that's slated to support Spotify but details are, well, spotty and it will not have a screen or CD slot. More of a bridge/converter/endpoint type unit that plays well in the Meridian ecosystem.

Quote:
Finally, should I just sell my BDP-2, forget the Sooloos and go for an Aurender and just rip my CD's to my NAS thru my Mac?
Aurender is a great (though costly?) option. Other options are servers from -E- on this forum or a sonictransporter or some other server that supports Roon. Some have CD import capabilities. If not, you'd be ripping using dBPoweramp or some similar app.

For what it's worth, I do the latter. I'm in the process of switching from Sooloos (running on a Meridian MD600) to Roon. I still love Sooloos for its sound, relative simplicity and for how solid it is but the features of Roon beckon. My setup is: sonictransporter running Roon core with internal SSD. (I have a NAS but I want to keep my music setup as simple as possible) my Meridian endpoints (818v3, 218 etc) are recognized by Roon. Works and sounds great.

Hope this helps,
Soundserge