View Single Post
Old 04-02-2018, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Update:

I've resurrected this discussion as, is often the way of the world, certain things have changed. There have been several family surgeries recently, all of which, very thankfully, went extremely well. Unfortunately, due to the wonders of Obamacare, you find yourself in the position of having to pay large sums of money upfront, for an extended portion of what percentage you owe, before the operations could take place. Due to that, I have somewhat less to invest in a potential Sonus Faber upgrade.

The new maximum that I can spend for a used pair of speakers is $10-12k, at most. That is about half of what a pair of used SF Amati Futura's, that were recommended by many of you go for, so those are simply not a viable option.

Are any of the older Amati's usable/recommendable in a room my size, including:

Amati Homage
Amati Anniversario?

I will also likely revisit the possibility of a pair of SF Elipsa SE's since several of you were on record as thinking they would work well in my room, have experience setting them up in a similar size rooms, and I have always loved their appearance.

However, I have had at least one Sonus Faber dealer tell me that the Elipsa SE's are consistent with what he termed the "old" Sonus Faber house sound. He said that the Olympica III's are part of the new, more dynamic overall sound, that still retains the magical midrange and highs that SF is famous for. He also thought that the Amati Futuras were the ideal next step up, which I am left unable to afford now. Will the overall sound of the Elipsa SE's be significantly less dynamic and impactful than my Olympica III's?

Thank you for any thoughts on this. Your expertise and knowledge is greatly valued.

John
Any comments on my updated needs and what would work best?

John