View Single Post
Old 03-30-2016, 06:13 PM

Talking Salon 2 with a subwoofer for a Theater ...... where do you cross over ?

When I was shopping for speakers a few years back I ran the Stereophile demo disc on a dozen high end speaker systems for a bass extension test - The Salons got down to 40hz before the speakers transitioned to the port - Pretty amazing - Only other speaker I tested that came close was the Wilson Sophia - Now at 40Hz there is not a lot of musical information except for Bach organ fugues and synthesizer parts so for music listening I have my McIntosh go full range pure stereo and I get great tonal balance with well defined bass

Home theater is another topic - Star ship engines, nuclear explosions and dinosaur stomping movies all have effects that benefit from a subwoofer - My current set up is cross the Voice center channel at 80Hz, the Salons at 40 Hz and use the McIntosh processor's high filter for the sub at 57 Hz

Since Revel's Salon is one of the few speakers to get authoritative bass in the lowest octaves we are all in a club onto ourselves ...... curious where other folks with Salons & Subs use for crossover points

Last edited by all2ears; 03-30-2016 at 09:03 PM.