View Single Post
Old 07-18-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I've parked my McIntosh gear on the hardwood floor for many years with zero problems. (I would not do it on carpet due to static.)

Actually the advantage of NOT using a rack in that room was that the components were on the right of my listening position, not front and center and the harsh reflections from the McIntosh glass components were much more evident than any benefit from a rack as I later discovered.

The gear being on the floor and down low allowed me to much more successfully treat the first reflection points in the room instead of components with glass being in the way.

There are NO components in audio systems that are proven to be sensitive to vibration in terms of "operational difference". Temperature, YES, Vibration NO. (I'm talking about actual electronic components like transistors, resistors, inductors, capacitors, etc...)

If the vibration is strong enough to cause "fatigue" and failure, you will have many more problems other than the stereo system.

FWIW and YMMV

Agree. Mine (3 1.25 KW's) are on 3/4" cultured marble slabs on an oriental rug below which is a very solid hardwood floor. I wouldn't dream of elevating them. My other equipment is a minimum of 11' from my speakers well out of my sound field next to my sofa. Stands and racks place the equipment up into the sound field. When I was dong my power conditioners I went with a longer power cord for that express purpose: keep all power conditioners on floor and out of the sound field. Don't stack or place anything in the sound field close to speakers, if possible. Some things are unavoidable but coffee tables etc. are a no no. Bottom line: think out your system carefully and you will have success.

Last edited by Charles; 07-18-2019 at 07:03 PM.