View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
1) I would insure the speakers are in the optimum position (e.g. Coupled with the room). Search for Sumiko Masters Process on this site.

2) If you then have enough bass but it is inconsistent or 'peaky', I would get the bass traps.

3) If all else fails, a subwoofer, in the right location with the right crossover, would help further smooth out the room response and maximize your low energies.

IMHO - just adding subs is a brute- force method that may or may not give you good bass - only more of it.

I have played around with speaker placement, but unfortunately my room is rather small. It's about 16' long x 10' wide. My biggest difficulty was battling soundstage width/depth vs bass. If I had the speakers close to the wall behind them, the bass got more powerful but the stage depth was shallow. If I had them close to the side walls the stage was wider, but less airy (not sure if that would be the right term) outside of the speaker boundaries, and the bass seemed a bit more reinforced when close to the side walls. I messed around with about 10 different positions. I should note that standing in the corners of the room there is a lot more bass in those areas.

As for the crossover....

I listed all my equipment in a reply to someone else in this thread. Now what would be the best way to hook up my sub? As far as I know i have two options:

1) Use the second set of RCA outputs on the 1082 (the variable output ones that go to my amp) or

2) Use the speaker outputs from my amp to go to the sub then to the speakers. But this would require another set of speaker cables no? And what would that do to my sound quality? I don't imagine going through the subs speaker terminals would be as good as going directly from the amp to the speakers?