View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 03:56 AM

Again, thank you all. This is truly the culmination of a tremendous amount of hard work. Couple of things I'd like to say. I am very local dealer dependent. However, I really like the AQ/Mac/Wilson gear. I believe they are synergistic but having said that, I never have even touched these silver power cords or solid silver IC's or speaker cables or even the speakers. They are dealer installed and will stay that way. And how could I remotely get these huge amps up a fairly long flight of stairs and in and out. Un-boxing and boxing: forget it. These frontal pics are taken from my sitting position. When I look to my right I see my equipment rack just as you see in the pics. It is about 5' from my sitting position. Notice how the tweeters are pointed exactly at my left and right ears. The thing I like the most about Wilsons are their foolproof setup. Notice how you can just see the inside panel. It's because the tweeters are pointed at my ears not my face. With Wilson you get on axis listening. I don't know what the correct treble angle is for any speaker that does not specify it. You think your treble sounds good on a cut only to discover harshness on another. Wilson speakers provide very explicit setup instructions and the angles of the drivers change with the distance of the ears from your seat and ear height. I like this. It provides me with a reference. So my Alexx are setup at about 11'4" from my ears (the tweeters) exactly the same distance as my Maxx3's. The amount of base in absolute terms is probably a little more with my old Maxx3's but the bass quality is significantly superior (speed articulation detail) with my Alexxes and the integration with my Thor is superior, no question. With the Maxx3 you never wanted for bass but I always felt the bass slightly slow and undamped in absolute terms. The Alexx confirmed my suspicions. Alexx midrange and treble are also significantly superior to Maxx3. When I got my Alexxes it was painfully apparent they were head and shoulders better in terms of build quality than my other equipment most especially my cables which needed to be solid silver to match. So I had a choice. To keep what I had and live with it or do a truly massive upgrade. (The 24' silver Wel IC's were particularly painful.) I chose the latter. But now that it's over the financial hit has totally receded. I have found the money spent is quickly forgotten as one settles into the bliss of a truly high end system.

Last edited by Charles; 10-19-2018 at 04:29 AM.