View Single Post
Old 06-12-2021, 10:19 AM

Ron C tutorial? How nice :-) I asked on another forum about the viability of just using the HDMI on the display, as I don't currently have a Windows computer (Mac currently, have been thinking of adding a Windows again for a few reasons as I like aspects of both), and had one say that that's how they did it - no comp externally. Others say the Win comp way is easier. That said I'm trying to put off doing that if I can as I have a TON of other stuff on the more immediate table, speaker builds, crossover builds, some room adjustments, and so forth. This stuff is well in progress but the Win comp is another add-on I'm trying to put off for a time while I arrange a network expert to come in here and set up some stuff for us. He's also an Apple guy so we'll get some stuff worked out.

Oh, and I'm still looking for a five channel McIntosh amp (like a 205/255) but apparently they are "in between" in large part on those, as the 205 sunsets and the 255 replaces that. Had a few examples slip through the fingers on the 205 as I was doing all of the other aforementioned stuff so I've been doing a pretty serious rebuild/refurb of the theater environment and it's gears, including new drivers and crossovers for the Cornwalls - the culmination of what we know on that side as ways to improve the old version to newer for the next 30 years.

So it's likely to be a week or three before we actually get to the "power up", as this all progresses on its own pace, and I gather information on to how best to make use of the MX151 and it's new partners. I did a considerable amount of reading on this and other similar units out there, a lot to sift through, now I go to the other side where I get this stuff to "marry" in a way that takes best advantage of the situation and components.

I liken buying a pre-pro today to a root canal, but once the selection is made and the results desired achieved, then you enjoy the comforts of enduring the pain in the first place. I'm a two channel, live concert guy at heart, who can't get away from the 5 channel standard that has been established over the years, be it via the 5.1 optical cable, the DVD and Blu-Ray with the best of live concerts, or the DD plus that is now becoming a "thing" over streaming networks. I'm really not a film buff anymore like I used to be (and need another Superhero film out of Hollywood like I need a hole in the head, see root canal again), but I am enthralled by the impact that a properly set up multichannel system can do for a lot of other stuff, be it broadcast/streaming or a host of legacy formats. nd even given that the MX151 is a "digital" piece of gear at it's core, it is also my hope that the 2 channel/just listening to music end of this work respectably well, too. a certain Achilles heel of the old one.

So I'm going around soaking up old threads like a sponge and seeing what I can learn before the install/power up, seems there's some leads to follow for sure.