Thread: Q3 vs S5
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 09:37 PM

Dear Graham,

Too much praise for me, really. Thanks for your kind words.
You are so exactly right about every words you wrote as well.
Higher resolving speakers will be more rewarding when treated right.
More relaxed one are easier to live with and easier to enjoy, yes that s what S5 will do besides
Extra output from larger woofers. So yes I believe S5 will be great to larger group of audience.
But even the more relaxed ones like S5, don t treat them bad. I sold Sophia 3 to a close friend of mine
Who is not audiophile, but music lover. I did the installation and I was shocked. They sounded so bad.
Because cables were zip cord, with cheap ac extension cords,90$ BD player as source using analog output,
Only his Bel Canto amp seems capable here.
One important small things that will push Q series to the limits is all little accessories like wall sockets and
AC plugs, bass become more or less controlled or even loosed with only a change of AC cord plugs and IEC side.
Ok I will tell you just a small parts of how tune-able Q3 were that I have tried and done, and those who live in
Europe or Australia may never have chance to do due to different type of electrical plugs used.
With Q3, replacing plugs and IEC in Transparent PLMM2x AC cord that feed power amp from standard hubbell/wattgate to Wattgate gold-plated 330i/350i will make all falling for the new truly beautiful golden glow sound. Treble so sweet and extended like never heard before, midrange so highly tubelike liquid. Bass was softer and totally uncontrolled. So now
Q3 were becoming loose in uncontrolled in the bass and heaven sent in other areas. What happen if we do this little mod
To a softer speakers in the first place? I don't know. Normally any gold plated plugs/socket will make such a sound, while rhodium plated will make bass tighter and more airy treble and cooler overall tone, also more resolution. Too bad they don t
Offer as many choices in Shuko/australian types.
Will showrooms in Europe have these kind of sockets installed instead of brass based contractor grade sockets? I doubt it. Furutech GTX pure copper sockets? Forget about it. Non-plated Brass make strong and very controlled bass, but totally unrefined, harsh treble, do not blame highly resolving metal tweeters yet, until you get rid of all contractor grade wall sockets in the chain. Ditto the hotel rooms in all famous shows in this regard.
But I strongly believe that these little things will have great benefit to S5 as well, so I encourage user to do, by more relax doesn't mean they are not highly resolving, just not as ultimately resolving as Q, that s all.
If S5 were in the market while I was buying Q3, very likely that I chose S5 as well, with high gloss color, but the final sound of Dull black Q3 was so addicting once I owned them and tuned them right.

Toga
PS . Confess they are two popular tweaks that never work for my ears even with Q3. I really cannot hear any change
By turning of displays on my CDP or preamp. Also using special feet under ARC preamp too. So my ears have limitation as well.

Last edited by TOGA; 04-16-2013 at 10:47 PM.