View Single Post
Old 04-18-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds7368 View Post
I had Berkeley Reference DAC into Ayre KX-R 20 preamp into Constellation Centaur monoblocks into Magico M Project speakers for about 6 months. Midrange sounded great, very smooth, but the bass was a bit light. I haven’t heard McIntosh paired with Magico, but McIntosh seems kinda dark to my ears and seems to pair very well with B&W speakers. My business partner runs Scarlotti into McIntosh tube preamp into McIntosh 501s into B&W 800D and they are very musical and fun, if not exactly the most accurate. Piano sounds particularly nice. BTW I moved to all Boulder electronics for my system since then ....
I recall reading several places that early Constellation amps were as you describe, superb mids and highs but light on bass. The bass seemed to improve dramatically with their Inspiration series and later. My local Magico dealer has an Inspiration 1.0 Stereo (front ended by a Constellation Revelation Pictor) driving S3 Mk2s. Sounds superb, including bass. To my ears Constellation amps are characterized by transparent high definition sound.