View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 01:01 PM

Default Acoustat Spectra 2 owner

I had Acoustat Spectra 2's which I purchased in 1986. I heard the Spectra 3's demoed with Tandberg electronics at the Stereophile show in Los Angeles in the mid 80's and liked their much more punchy sound compared to the famous CLS's of that time period. I kept those speakers for about 2 decades and they had no problems whatsoever (even living in the Midwest through severe thunderstorms and power surges). I drove them with Halfler (XL-280), Counterpoint (SA-220), Mark Levinson (ML No. 29), Jeff Rowland (Model 5 balanced) and briefly with Classe' (CA-301) and Pass (X350) electronics and they all sounded good - the little 50wpc ML 29 was a surprisingly good match. Yeah, the sweet spot was narrow but the lack of coloration was noticeable from the other room. I ultimately sold them for a combination of WAF reasons (they collected dust on the cream grill clothes which really needed to be removed and washed and I couldn't convince myself I could wash the grill cloth covers without destroying them) and they are imposing to say the least...and also, given their age and the loss of Acoustat, I felt that a catastrophic failure was not too far down the road. I couldn't get pix to post but have them to share if anyone is interested.