View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 01:06 AM

OK some initial impressions with the Thunder, the TA5000 and the Kiseki Purple Heart NS - running through my trusty Bel Canto Phono 3 -> BHK Signature Preamplifier -> BHK Mono 300s -> Thiel CS3.7/SmartSub2.2x2 with Thiel S1 sub integrator

The Kiseki range is something that has intrigued me for a long time ever since I heard Herman (of PrimaLuna) was resurrecting the brand. I was expecting a house sound not dissimilar to PrimaLuna - great dynamics, great warmth and a sense of realism. And that was exactly what the Kiseki Purple Heart delivered in this combo.*

It is going to be hard to compare this with my old ProJect RPM10.1 with the 10cc evolution tonearm and the Sumiko Pearwood Celebration II - at least until I can connect the Wand Master with the same cart and get it back in operation. At least then, there would be some commonality in the cart so the differences would be due to*the arm/table*

But here are a few standout moments - There was amazing detail retrieval - I was getting the same goosebumps I got when I first got my DSD DACs - the ability to resolve more complex arrangements where the different instruments, the different singers appear as distinct sounds in the soundstage rather than a mash of melodies. Not that the RPM10.1 didn't do that - but it seemed so easy to hear all that*now.*

The other thing that struck me was speed accuracy. Pianos had a tendency to sound just a tad off on the RPM 10.1 - and this was already improved once I got a new belt last year for the ProJect. But on the Acoustic Signature, it was pitch perfect.

The soundstage depth was also a noticeable improvement. And the singer's voice just hanging in the middle of the living room. Stunning.

But the overwhelming impression I got was the*extremely relaxed sound, if that's the right word. I feel like I can listen to the table/arm/cart combo forever - and I think I chalked up my longest listening session that last weekend for as long as I can remember. It doesn't get fatiguing.*

Hopefully the second tonearm cable arrives next week - and I can check how the Sumiko Pearwood sounds with its new partners.

Last edited by doggiehowser; 08-11-2017 at 01:11 AM.