View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Just Pure Lucky

First -- right out of the gate -- I have not heard the XR200's. I had dual MC275's and yes, they would power the XR200's; but, would work better with more than what the MC275's can give them. IMO, I would not consider the XR200's with those amps for that main reason. That was one of my reasons for selling the MC275's and moving up to the MC2301's -- I didn't think the MC275's controlled my speakers as well as they should have & was right -- once I received the MC2301's I realized I made the right move.

My dealer, who has a pair, told me they sound best with more than what the MC275's can provide considering sensitivity is a bit low (86db). He's had them powered with MC2301's and said they are awesome (great bass, mids, crystal clear, threw great soundstage) with those amps and cavets that with you wouldn’t go wrong with MC501's or the 1.2kw's. (He has not had them hooked up with those amps).

He reported the following considering amping them with SS gear “I've owned both and prefer the XR200, bass is deeper and much easier to drive due to the top port. Some might prefer the soft domes of the 28's but I found the XR200 array very smooth with no edginess or glare. Had it hooked up to the MA7000 with the MCD500 and it pressurized my 15 by 34 foot room effortlessly. I guess its a matter of preference but I like the newer ported design of the 1k and 200 over the 28's and 30's.”

Someone asked this question & someone familiar with the speakers answered:

Question: "Will the MC501's make this speaker come alive? What would be the minimum amplifier power suggested for the XR200? "

Answer: "MC501's would work great. MC1.2KW's even better."

In other postings, Ron-C is quoted as stating: “Any Mc amp will drive the XR200s including the MC275. XR200 is rated for up to 600 watts music power. Yes the MC1.2K amps will have the biggest sound and the scariest bass but this would be the same with any speaker. For most folks who listen at normal volumes any of the amps will work and the MC501s are an ideal match power wise".

He compares them to the LS360's: "The XR200 is less efficient than the LS360s but that does not tell the whole story. XR200 has more bass extension and weight which makes them sound full at a lower volume where you have to crank the LS360 since it is somewhat leaner sounding. Playing the XR200s at high volume will definitely rock your house. The mid/high design of the XR200 yields a very deep stereo image throughout a room. Perhaps the biggest sweet spot is why these will be so popular. The spaciousness and depth of the image is also one of the best regardless of speaker compared".

Ron-C has also stated "the MA6600” at 200wpc “will power them fine".

Someone who heard them with the Anniversary 75watt tubes stated this “As I noted in my comments from AK Fest, the XR-200's there did not impress at all and I am waiting to hear them at one of my local dealers. It could have been the room, though that was better than last years, or it could have been the equipment driving them. (The Anniversary Edition tubes and some much older tubes).

Another XR200 owner stated: ” Their sound is very reminiscent of my XRT1K's, with sparkling highs and mid-range along with a robust low end. My MC402 seems to be a good match for them.”

Bottom line --with your tube amps
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M StarlightŪ 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.

Last edited by vintage_tube; 11-11-2009 at 08:37 AM.