Thread: Pass Labs XP-25
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 07:17 PM

BillK.

The great tube phono stages will ALWAYS have superior life, that is to me extension and 3d effect in the upper frequencies. This is more apparent on lower to mid sound levels than when cranking it.

I have listened to the arc ref2 and that is the case as well. The pass has better density, bass impact and leading edge of instruments is more direct.. I do have all tubes in my system, so system synergy will dictate. Hard to have both thou.

I have more listening to do and the pass is sounding v good so far. Whether or not I can live without the upper frequency life is probably what it will come down to. But I am looking for a complimentary phono stage to my TW tube phono.

One thing I have noticed of the XP-25 is the clunkiness of the switches and dials when changing impedance or capacitance. Compared to the electronic switches in the ARC phono or the pure sophistication and utter quality of the Esoteric e-03 switches. The pass is downright disappointing in this respect - but they work.
The XP-25 only has one phono stage with a switch, vs two separate phono stages of most of the competition.

Cheers

Last edited by turntable; 04-19-2012 at 07:51 PM.