Thread: XR100 or XR200
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWInsall View Post
I don't like the way Mac voices their speaker these days. They are un-naturally bright and strident so I'll pass. I guess they figure all guys are hard of hearing over the age of 40. I'm not. Even B&W 800 series with the 8 db peak at 10 kHz is to bright. Now Magico are ok, its their mid bass that bothers me or lack of it is a better term. I prefer line arrays, I just wish Mac still built an update XRT 18 or and updated down sized XR 290. They were both easy to listen to. So was the XRT 28. That's what I would be looking for, pre-owned XRT 28's.
I owned an XRT30 for about 4 years. I auditioned an XRT28 in my home for several weeks before buying the XRT30. I found both to be good speakers but it took a great deal of work (acoustic treatments) to tame the upper midrange and treble both of which were rough in comparison to the newer Mac speakers with the Ti tweeters and dome midranges. Bass was excellent and definitely the strong point of both speakers. The XRT30 was a 4 piece system with beautiful wooden cabinets for the subs which had (2) 12" woofers in each cabinet. The separate midrange/treble panels were line arrays with beautiful aluminium cabinets. The XRT30 could be triamped. Both the XRT30 and XRT28 used soft domes for tweeters and cones for midranges but there was nothing "soft" or forgiving about either of these speakers I can tell you that for certain. For review of XRT28 see TAS Feb/March 2005 Issue 152 by Robert E. Greene. I suppose that you have experience with the speakers you have mentioned.

Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) and Wilson Watch Controller
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and IC’s; Dragon power cords (8)
Sub-woofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable; Wolf IC; Hurricane HC (2) Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) 20-amp lines

Last edited by Charles; 02-06-2019 at 06:56 AM.