View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 09:00 PM

The new Jazz Room.

Decided to move my whole system from the 30x30 room into a much more intimate listening space. The Harbeth 30.2 were singing great in the big room but I thought they may do ok in the smaller room being British stand mounted speakers that are often used in more intimate acoustic spaces.

Placed the rack off to the side to give the speakers room to breathe and was glad my speaker cables were long enough to do that.

After moving all my gear and dusting the shelves of the rack I reassembled the system with the speakers now 6.5 ft apart instead of 12. My preferred listening distance is typically in the range of 1.2x rule but I have room to maneuver as my sweet spot listening chair is doubling as a desk/computer chair and it easily rolls around.

Overall I love the cozy and intimate feeling of the new system room aka Jazz Room. I can easily work on the computer and enjoy the main system or the desktop headphone listening with SS or Tubes.

The main system will see the PrimaLuna doing most of the driving and I may rotate the Class A Luxman integrated from time to time.

So how does it sound in the new room? Not bad at all! I was expecting problems as this room is 3x smaller. With some preliminary speaker positioning I was able to find a good spot for good bass integration with the room. The speakers do not sound congested or bloated at all. Not much echo and no ringing after I added the plant at the left early reflection point but I will add another plant and a few acoustic panels to smooth and relax the sound a bit more. It sounds like it needs a bit of help with that. Overall the PrimaLuna running in triode mode is having an easier time filling the room with Jazz sounds now. I’m also listening from a much closer position than before so power is not wasted as much on distance.

The few hrs it took to do this project was well worth it. Loving the new intimate room and the big room may see another system develop with bigger speakers now.

What a beautiful room- so simple and clean.
Less is more!