View Single Post
Old 06-05-2018, 03:28 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Kevin,

Thanks for sharing Chuck’s feedback.

This news spooked me as it is night and day when I switch from the 8 ohm tap to the 4 ohm tap.

So I reached out to Ron C from McIntosh.

Ron told me it was fine to use the 8 ohm tap with my Cremonas.

Perhaps it’s different for my MAC6700, with 200wpc, but who knows.

I asked Ron a follow-up question and clarified that my amp doesn’t even get the slightest bit warm while using the 8 ohm tap.

Ron said if it was a mismatch, the amp would run hot.

Definitely a different response, but I’ll be happy to keep my Cremonas on the 8 ohm tap!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
Reply from McIntosh since Sf did not reply:

Hi Kevin,

I’m sorry you did not get a reply from SF, I see you have not written to us here at McIntosh since last October..

Those speakers are below 8 ohms for nearly their entire range, and should really be used on the 4 ohm connections.

The McIntosh MC452 will put out over 900 watts average into those speakers if they are connected to the 8 ohm taps.

With a power handling of 300 watts, there is danger you could blow the speakers.

The Heatsinks on the MC452 are designed to dissipate the heat generated by 450 watts, so some heating (if connected to the 8-ohm taps) may shorten the life of the amplifier.

The 8 ohm connections will be more punchy and dynamic, but the 4 ohm connections will be cleaner and smoother, as the correct connection will avoid stressing the amplifier, which could increase distortion.

The 4 ohm connection will provide full power to the speakers and amp will run nice and cool and last forever, as a McIntosh should.

Chuck Hinton of McIntosh, Wadia, and Snell Tech Support

888-979-3737 X311
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW