View Single Post
Old 10-15-2017, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtaudio View Post
There are two main areas Chris focussed on - the sidewalks and the ceiling. The room doubles as a home theatre so a large flat panel TV occupies a fair bit of the front wall making placing treatments there difficult. The rear wall has a floor to ceiling built in cabinet with many open shelves for media storage as well as being the location of the entry door to the room.
The main feature of the sidewalls are large panels which I will call slat diffusers (this may not be the correct technical name). Each one measures 6' 3" long by 6' 4" high and consists of a repeating pattern of vertical "slats" all 1 1/2" wide but varying in depth from 1 1/2" to 5 1/2". They are spaced 1" apart. There is an absorbing section on top of the slat panel that extends to the ceiling.
There are also 3 24"x48" absorbing panels (Corning 703/705) on each side wall; one toward the front of the room and two toward the back of the room.
The ceiling treatment is twofold. There are 8 24"x24" Auralex Wavelens diffusion panels located in about the middle of the ceiling as measured front to back. They are installed in a staggered pattern. The rear portion of the ceiling contains 5 24" x 24" absorbing panels made using Corning 705 and again in a staggered pattern.
All this is a bit difficult to describe but I hope this gives you the idea. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the outcome, to my ears, has been excellent.
From what you describe, the treatments seem to be sensible and without excessive absorption. If you stand in the middle of the room and click your fingers you shouldn't hear any room chatters but you should hear a small amount of decay.

Fwiw, I plugged the room dimensions into REW room sim and the result wasn't too bad. You will probably hear the primary 34Hz room mode on program with low bass, but there's also a slight suckout in the upper bass which which might make some recordings sound a bit lean. (I'm assuming that you're listening distance is roughly 10 feet) Your room treatments mostly work at mid and high frequencies to the benefit of soundstage and overall tonal accuracy. Reducing the 34Hz mode would be difficult to do with bass traps because it's such a low frequency, but if you're not hearing it on most program it's not a problem. Actually, some room gain in that region is preferred by most listeners anyway.