View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 05:58 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
The optical connection can only pass data and not noise as is possible with ethernet.

I have no doubt that the etherRegen will function as designed and sound great but would feel better by using the SFP connection.
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
I have read about various options that in laymen’s speak, converts the copper Ethernet to SFP and back to a short high quality copper cable all to reduce the noise.
Optical will provide galvanic isolation, and also attenuate the impact of RF and it will not pass low- or high-impedance leakage currents, but fiber itself will not remove, reduce or eliminate clock phase noise from the upstream clocks connecting components, e.g. routers, switches, etc.

Also, my hypothesis is that Crystek CCHD-575 XO clock in the EtherREGEN will be a (notably) better clock than the clock in the Sonore OpticalModule (OM) with respect to clock phase noise, and I'm absolutely certain the isolation transfomers on the RJ45 jacks of the EtherREGEN will be superior to the RJ45 jack on the OM.

My plan is to move my OM from the Main Rack into the study where the Mac Mini is, connect to the OM via copper Shunyata Sigma Ethernet to it from either my Pace router or a switch, then run fiber out of the OM directly to the optical transceiver in the SFP cage on the A-side of EtherREGEN, and then Shunyata Sigma Ethernet from the B-side (on the other side of the "moat") to the SOtM UltraNeo network bridge.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 10-14-2019 at 06:12 PM.