Thread: Luxman MQ-300
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Awesome... I'll be here!
In retrospect, the biggest mistakes I have made were related to amplifier purchases based on recommendations from selling dealers without actually hearing them or more importantly, auditioning them in my own audio room.

Not that any of the gear was sub-par. It was all good stuff but none of it gave me the exact sound and experience I am looking for. I am seeking the emotional connection to the music as opposed to listening to sounds that I constantly have to analyze and question how things could sound better.

I am thankful that I have not spent MEGA bucks on my amplification (never more than low-teens) as I could have been easily tempted to spend twice that amount or more, only to be back on the merry-go-round.

Certain people on this forum know that as of this week, I am back on that merry-go-round. In the interim, my trusty 4 year old PrimaLuna will keep me happy until I can find just the right piece.

I have learned that there is not necessarily a correlation between price and sound quality. Just last week, I auditioned some gear that was twice the price of my existing amp and it fell way short.

I freely admit that for me, half the fun is the "chase" - researching, hearing, and trying new gear. It's an expensive proposition and best applied to pre-owned gear (which hasn't always been my case).

As my very understanding wife says, I could have much more destructive hobbies or vices!

Last edited by GreginNH1; 11-21-2018 at 11:19 AM.