Thread: Humanoids
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
It's getting a bit freaky out there with all the advanced robots/humanoids/androids.

The current “products” that are being presented to the public remind me of the Japanese robotics engineer Masahiro Mori and his hypothesis, “the uncanny valley”, from the 1970’s. The premise is based on the emotional response from individuals as they are exposed to “human-like” entities. He concluded that the human response would be more empathetic with less “human-like” entities (consider R2D2 from the Star Wars franchise), and the human response would shift to that of disgust or revulsion as the “human-like” entity nearly approaches human lifelike appearance and behavior (a “near miss” if you will). The entity such as Sophia represents a good example of a “near miss.” An interesting theme that I have discussed with various friends over the last few years to highlight Mori’s “the uncanny valley” is the movie Wall-E in which the two main robotic “actors”, Wall-E and Eve, bring the movie viewing audience to empathize with their story and relationship. However, the various “human actors” seem to evoke emotions of apathy, disgust, and even revulsion to the movie viewing audience. Interesting the dichotomy between the robotic characters and the “near miss” human characters. Thanks for sharing.

Regards