View Single Post
Old 12-27-2016, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3workshop View Post
I'm curious to hear what you've done.

I have a very well carpeted living room and bedroom - heavy Persian & Berber carpets over heavy felt pads- mostly out of respect for my downstairs neighbors, but it also enhances the sound. Twelve foot ceilings, tall windows with only shear curtains that I rarely pull across. I have no sound dampening on any walls.

It actually works pretty well. I have a passive attenuator for my sub next to my pre that I can adjust depending on the music & recording if I need to tailor the low end, which I do often.
Nothing fancy, mostly a trial-and-error effort. I moved relatively recently and had to dial-in the new listening room's sound by combining diffussors and absorption pannels. One lateral wall has windows and I have heavy curtains with black-out lining which fold enough to also provide some diffusion, but mostly absorbs.

The opposite wall is bare masonry so I have a battery of four diffusor pannels, on simple wooden stands, one next to the other, from the first speaker impact all the way to the corner. On that side, the speaker requires more toe-in than the one on the curtains side since there is an opening hallway to the back on that side

I use 2 inch thick polystyrene foam pannels in all corners. In this room, I've found I do not need my SUB anymore as my floorstanders provide just the amount of bass I apppreciate. I also have a persian rug in front of the speakers to lessen floor reflections/vibrations.

No big deal, but I don't get any buzzing or echoeing, and the sound is pretty balanced. I also slightly lift up the front of the speakers to have them project the musicians in a more human scale, otherwise their sounds, especially vocals, come from under the top of the speakers, which make them seem as smaller scale than in real life. Sounstage is wide and overall lively. It's a work in progress yet, but it is going in the right direction.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 12-27-2016 at 12:09 AM.