View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 01:01 AM
George

Interesting read.

Acoustat 2+2 ... could not afford the amp to drive them at the same time. My first loan, $5,000 for a Threshold amp... but by then the Acoustats were gone. 1980?

AMT 1D Loved the ribbons
Apogee Slant 8

I spent an tremendous amount of time auditioning, electrostatic and ribbon for a couple decades... but just never pulled the trigger. Finally about 10 years ago I took a complete turn being enchanted by the seamlessness across the spectrum and musical truth of some SF somewhere. And at the same time I started attending the symphony regularly (season tickets, 7th row center). I think this had a big influence on me. I stopped chasing that etherial magic. I think the symphony really grounded me in reality and changed what I was looking for.

I bought some used Cremonas as a test of my theory and as anticipated trade in. The intent was simply proof of concept. Within a couple weeks I ordered a pair of Olympica 3... waited for and received a pair from the first shipment to the US. They put me in the symphony hall of whatever recording I was listening to. In addition, they are beautiful, something that had never figured into the equation before.

I now have a pair of Amati Traditional on order. I will take the two subwoofers out of my system, uncluttering my audio system space. Very happy where I have ended up.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.

Last edited by George Prentice; 09-24-2020 at 01:09 AM.