View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Hello folks,

I noticed that, while saying that Shindo gear makes you forget the gear, you're almost all into upgrades all the time, like the other audiophiles here. So, you're still looking for "better sound". What is missing then ?

I understand tnat Matt's full trade in value help a lot for that ( how does this guy earn money ? ), but still, I find a bit controversial the permanent upgrade / change path for people who say that they found at last the Music they love and can finally forget the gear.....

Don't want to be polemic at all. Just curious to have your feelings about that.
Fair question. Here's my progression.

I started with a Montille amp - which I found by chance on Audiogon from a guy living near my house. That little amp made me say WOW!

Through Matt at PitchPerfect, I got my hands on an Auriges-L preamp. The combination made me say: DOUBLE WOW!

It sounded great, but I was committed to the SET route (the Montille was just an amp I could not resist buying.) Within a few weeks, Matt announced a trade-up Cortese and I was on it in a second.

The Cortese made me say #$%^& QUADRUPLE WOW! I had not only reached the top of my deliciousness scale, I had gone past it and into unknown territory.

I could have been happy with my setup of Auriges and Cortese, but it nagged me not to have a Shindo phono stage in the preamp - one less box and set of cables. Hence the Monbrison.

The Monbrison + Cortese = #$%^& QUADRUPLE WOW! with cherry on top.

I can say with confidence that I have exactly want I want and what I need. My outrageously long listening hours and the fact that I am playing previously unplayable records are all the hard evidence I need.

The time will probably come when I decide to upgrade to a Masseto preamp - but not because I need it, just because I can ... and boys like their toys.

In terms of amp, I believe that the Cortese will stay with me as a main amp for a loooooooong time. It may very well be my last amp. Why? Because it has a sound signature that seems custom made for my tastes.

We can revisit this thread in a few years, but I believe that you will still find me with a Shindo system and - quite possibly - the same Cortese I am playing now.

Alberto