View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronenash View Post
When the high voltage fuse fails its usually a bad output tube that's causing this. Better check your tubes.
Yep. Fuses don't blow for no reason at all. Something is causing too much current draw - a.k.a. - bad tube somewhere. Did you notice if any of the tubes had plates glowing orange/red? I had some 6L6's and 300B's do that, but it didn't phase the amps one bit luckily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
Ok they're gone. Back in the box !

The Tung Sol look better built but too bad they are rattling. Plus when the psvane were working I really enjoyed the sound.

I guess I'll have fun with some tube rolling. I already have a pair of 12AT7W coming my way
I had a pair of 5U4's that rattled in an old amp that I overhauled for one of my brothers. I replaced them with some RCA 5U4 GT's (used narrower, taller plates) and the rattle went away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
I have new 6CA7 EH to bring you...
I had some EH 6CA7's for an old Consonance M-100 SE I had years ago. They sounded better than any of the EL34's and KT88's I tried regardless of being new or NOS.

On a side note, I've always felt that if you're going to own tube gear, it would be a good idea to invest in a decent solid state tube tester. I have one, though no tube gear now. Go figure. LOL