View Single Post
Old 05-31-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
I can't help wondering how else you'd form such an opinion other than by listening?
I've got an opinion about listening to ARC. I've listened to it extensively as a former owner. I've even got an opinion about purchasing it in the Chicago area and if there are any similarly situated members who would like my opinion, I'd be glad to share it privately.

To your point, though, this hobby (like my post) is about listening ... and so much more. You just need to read it in the proper spirit.

I agree, of course, you should listen prior to making an opinion. Funny thing...not all who've participated in the Shindo Experience agree. Not my place to question, though.

The remainder of your post, I think, is quite accurate. It is certainly not at all necessary to have an entire Shindo system to enjoy the brand. Not at all! I've been a Shindo owner in one form or another for the past 9 years. At one point I owned only the stand alone phono preamp that I used with a Brinkmann table and an MBL set up! Heresy!!! Who cares?! It's a lovely brand and wonderful gear. Mix and match. It still works. If you have a whole Shindo system, you realize the designer's intent. I'm sure that does not make it any different than most other brands - Audio Note, Kondo, etc.

Perhaps the only difference is many Shindo owners do attempt to complete the chain? It is no reason not to own not just a preamp, for example.

With respect to the cables, that is a different issue. The Shindo reps have explained that at length.

Speakers....a hot topic, for sure, so I'll be brief and non controversial. Use Shindo with any speaker that sounds good to you. Shindo speakers are an ideal match (not controversial, I hope?) but not necessary. The designer - a note to those who pick nits, here I am referring to Ken, the mountain of evidence he left behind, and his son, who continues Shindo in his place - recommends high impedance and efficiency. Interested parties can also contact me privately at any time and I will provide a half dozen ebay auction links at any given moment that will meet these criteria for under 3,000 in most cases. It does not have to be high $$ to work here.