View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 09:59 AM

Default Listening Impressions

Well, all the upgrades are in and I am very pleased with the results. I feel that my connections are now commensurate with the internal wiring of my Alexx. The last thing I may do but it is far from certain is upgrade my subwoofer system connections but I do not think it will make an audible difference since the Thor is rolled off at 30 Hz in a passive configuration (no HP LP only). All my equipment (Mac C-1000, MR 85 tuner, MIT pc systems, and a plethora of KK and AQ cables) have been boxed up and are at the dealer and are currently being sold. Money from this would go into this last upgrade. We will see.

How does it sound? first of all it would be unfair to compare my Alexx to my Maxx3 because I have made far too many improvements that were not there with my Maxx3. I thought my Maxx3 was a fantastic speaker. Still do. Like Jim, I never heard the inferior treble that folks associated with the old tweeter. The main thing I noticed with the Maxx3 was I felt it was not the last word in resolution, but this was from top to bottom. The Maxx3 was and still is as neutral a speaker as there is on the planet. I have nothing but praise for it.

What about the Alexx with all the new ancillary equipment? I have achieved what I had hoped to which is a significant increase in transparency and clarity without the hardness and ruthlessness. I wanted smoothness, elimination of grain, increased resolution top to bottom, delicacy, refinement, better imaging and sound staging and I have achieved these things.

With the new system I find myself listening more to classical music, especially Mahler. I am trying to learn his symphonies. The new system makes it fun.

Sadly or happily depending on how you look at it connections make a huge difference in a high end system. Connections are extremely expensive. One Dragon HC power cord (2m) is 7,900. I have two of them and eight Dragons all together. Solid silver IC's, well don't get me started. But I really enjoy that fact that when I see a truly high end setup in the internet knowing that my power conditioning and connections are second to none.

So am I happy, was it worth it? Yes absolutely. The cost is fast receding in my mind and when I look at my results, strangely, I think I have achieved a very high end system that not only sounds great but is very cost effective in that I think I spent my money exactly where it needed to be spent. I wouldn't change a thing.

Last edited by Charles; 08-15-2018 at 10:03 AM.