View Single Post
Old 03-12-2017, 03:01 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdland View Post
To be honest, I am a little bit wary of the change. I have not heard ANY ARC pre-amps with 6h30 tubes. I love the fact that I can tweak the sound of my LS25 by changing its 6922 tubes. Now, I will be 'stuck' with whatever the 6h30s do to my system. However, I keep thinking that there must be something to the REF line so I took the plunge. .....

First, I replaced my two VT100 Mk IIs with a REF 150 and now an LS25 Mk I with a REF 5SE. This is really scary boys and girls BUT do try this at home.
I went through that in ~2010, upgrading from an ARC PH7 with 4 6922s to a REF Phono 2, where ARC began using the 6H30 in their REF gain stages. (Here for a comparison.) As an inverate tube roller I know the 6DJ8-family well - and yes tube rolling is fun! With proper implementation - which ARC has done - the 6H30 dual triode is a worthy replacement. It is not as sweet or warm as many 6DJ8 types; it is more neutral and clearer with less grain. And perhaps equally important, it is manufactured with a high degree of consistency at a "reasonable" price. The NOS stock of really nice 6DJ8 types is dwindling and their price continues to rise - decent pairs of mid-'60s Siemens, Amperex, or Telefunkens are in the $200-$500 range.

The REF 5SE will yield clearer imaging on a more credible soundstage with better instrument separation, purer pitch, improved harmonics particularly in the mids and upper frequencies, more detail, dynamic vivacity, and low end weight.

You'll want to keep track of tube hours, particularly the single 6550C/WE; and you might as well buy a replacement tube set to have on hand, assuming you keep the unit.

No worries, I bet you love it.