View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I thought the Doshi AAlp 3.0 complimented the Momentum mono blocks very nicely. Vocals were outstanding. The bottom end may have lost a bit of tightness but added a bit of musicality. I still prefer the top end of good SS over any tube pre I have ever heard.

Adding a remote control to the new Doshi pre was very important for someone who listens to a lot of server based music. As volume levels vary significantly from disc to disc I would be jumping up with every disc change to correct for these differences.

I have added this pre-amp to my short of possible contenders.
Jim,

Thank you very much for responding. I think it's true that with the Alaap the bottom end becomes a bit looser. Some would argue that it's more natural, but what ultimately matters is whether you like that - or at least find it a worthwhile tradeoff.

I use a music server with my Alaap 2.1 (no remote). However, I use an iPad with JRemote to control the server and I adjust the volume in the digital domain with (to my ears) no sonic degradation.

As for the high frequencies, I find that with the Alaap I get more body that results in more lifelike cymbals etc than with a solid state pre which usually sounds more thin - at least with Wilson speakers, but of course like all things in audio, it's all subjective.

Thanks again for your response.
Ian