View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
I asked around, but the best answer is to use Panurgy for repairs. There is an un official disc out there, but not recommended.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
I'm not sure who you asked, but the unofficial disk does work and I used one to upgrade my MS300 to an MS750.

If you can someone who can provide you the disc, pull out the hard drive and replace it with a new one and then try the disc. If it works great, if not you are out the cost of a hard drive and your MS300 still works. I don't have the model number of the 750GB hard drive that will work, but it probably can be found here or on the "other site".

The MS300 was based on an Escient design with some internal upgrades from McIntosh. Escient was a company that was acquired by D&M (who also owned McIntosh Labs). Escient were early to the music (and video I think) server game. After being acquired they continued to be a standalone company putting out and supporting their products. McIntosh initially released the MS300 and later took the same design and changed the hard drive to a 750GB unit. As far as I know no other changes were made. At some point the Escient name disappeared, but they continued to service the MS300 and MS750 and their own. My MS300 had a known digital dropout issue that was repaired for free by Escient even though I was not the original owner. Some time later Escient completely disappeared and Panurgy took over support.

You might consider looking at other music servers as the MS300 and MS750 are both outdated and as others have said no longer supported by McIntosh. There are many other choices out there. They don't have the McIntosh look, but most are current products that are supported.

If you are set on keeping it you should pick up a backup CDROM and hard disk as both of these are IDE, which is all but dead.

In case you are wondering, I sold my copy of the unofficial disc with the MS300.