Thread: Cable break-in
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
My issue with cable break in is that I don't know how you would reconcile the fact that they are either "breaking in" or your ears are getting accustomed to new cables in your system. How would you ever be able to determine which is which?
When I break in RCA cables I do it between my DAC (two sets of independent RCA outs) and pre-amp. That way I can put a known set of broken in cables next to the new cables as a "reference" or "standard" against which to compare. By switching back and forth to listen to the reference vs. the new cable, I have a standard against which to compare. Over time you can definitely hear the new cable change in character relative to the reference (which shouldn't be changing). Its' pretty common to hear a new cable have too much treble or a mid-range suck-out that resolves over time. Had I not done this using a reference cable side by side during break-in time many times, I'd be wondering if my brain was simply "getting used to" the new cable also. But comparing them this way its pretty clear to me that cable "break-in" or burn-in is a "real thing".