View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Dan, go tubes. Even the best SS phono may give you sharper transients, crisper dynamic contrast but will have a hard time matching the harmonic bloom and three dimensionality of a tubed phono. Tubes and vinyl just sound so right!

Just get the Manley Steelhead phono stage/preamp and be done with it. Mikey Fremer has been using it for years.

Manley_Steelhead_phono_stage
Hi Serge,
I would have to disagree with you on that comparison. I used to own the Pass Xono and demoed the Steelhead at home twice. In comparison the Steelhead sounded SS , leading edge and threadbare - yes it had bloom, however it had that forward upper mid/lower treble forwardness/ brightness than can effect some tube equipment trying to sound fast.

BTW, If you grow detached from the ARC ref2, I will get better use out of it than Dan I can afford a used one.

Dan

If the XP-15 is better sounding than the Xono ( which is supposedly is), it will be a very good sounding phono indeed. see if you can get a demo, or I think I saw one on gon.
But, like anything - if your system is leaning towards neutral, it may not be the best choice.

the ARC ref2 is in another league of goodness thou.