View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whart View Post
Mendel: you seem to be quite knowledgeable re tubes. What i find interesting here, and this is based on my experience with the 6dj8, is that the tele really had the goods in the Steelhead, and that Esteban's description of what he heard was, at least in 6dj8 world, much more characteristic of my experience with the NOS Siemens tube, very linear, but tending to the analytical, and lacked the warmth and imaging of the tele. So, aside from different tube type (and I'm making the assumption that the character of these tubes transcends the type and may be characteristic of the brand more generally), don't you think much depends on the ciruit?
I use a ribbed NOS 12A__ Tele in my Lamm SET amps and they are pretty wonderful.
Hi Whart:
Much definitely depends on the circuit, but many people have described tele 12ax7s exactly like Esteban's description. There is a theory held by some that tele 12ax7s were made to sound as they do to alleviate the dark sounding caps and resistors found in many vintage amps and receivers, and many owners of Fisher or Scott equipment swear nothing else sounds better. Not sure if I buy this but it is out there.
I use 6DJ8 in my phono stage also and love the Telefunken--it sounds much warmer than their 12ax7, but still very quiet and detailed.
It depends on the circuit and the other tubes used, but also on the listeners preferences. One man's detail is another man's analytical and thin, warmth to one can be bloated or thick to another. There is no right or wrong, that's why tube equipment is great--you can tailor the sound to what you want.
Enjoy the roll!
PS--Thanks Esteban --keep trying different tubes. The worst that will happen is that you will build up a valuable stash to enjoy and later sell if you wish for a tidy profit. Quality tubes will be worth their weight in gold in the future.