View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendel View Post
Hi Esteban:
Your description of the Teles is pretty much spot on. You did not get bad or weak tubes, that's the way Teles sound in every amp I have heard them in. Not my cup of tea and obviously not yours either.
Don't give up on rolling, the stock Chinese tubes in the Prima Luna are OK but can be much improved on. Given your sonic descriptions, I suggest you try the following if you can:
RCA 12ax7 blackplates
Raytheon 12ax7 blackplate
Sylvania 5751 (grey or black plate, triple mica)
GE , Raytheon or RCA 5751.
Amperex I65 code ( often "bugleboy" logo but also phillips,valvo or miniwatt)
Unfortunately you will not know what is best for you until you hear it. But your amp is good enough to make finding out worthwhile. Enjoy the roll.
Mendel: you seem to be quite knowledgeable re tubes. What i find interesting here, and this is based on my experience with the 6dj8, is that the tele really had the goods in the Steelhead, and that Esteban's description of what he heard was, at least in 6dj8 world, much more characteristic of my experience with the NOS Siemens tube, very linear, but tending to the analytical, and lacked the warmth and imaging of the tele. So, aside from different tube type (and I'm making the assumption that the character of these tubes transcends the type and may be characteristic of the brand more generally), don't you think much depends on the ciruit?
I use a ribbed NOS 12A__ Tele in my Lamm SET amps and they are pretty wonderful.