Thread: ChronosonicXVX
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
They are kind of sexy Charles! (The speakers, not the dudes!).
Thank you so much! The thing that smote me about the XVX was the new Alnico mids. Personally I doubt them much if any better that the current 7" mid which is a truly great driver. But it was the fact that nonetheless Daryl did introduce all new mids when he didn't have to. The XVX would have been an ultimate speaker with plenty of new tech without the new mids. For me they were the difference.

I have always known Wilson makes the best cabinets. No other manufacturer comes close IMO. Typically aluminium (which is very heavy and brute force), carbon fiber, or some other exotic is used but much of the time with a lot of manufacturers you find wood or MDF somewhere in even the most expensive speakers. Wilson cabinets are proprietary and this new V material sounds incredible. Again just a scaled down WAMM would have been totally sufficient but that was not good enough apparently for Daryl. He truly went the extra mile in the XVX and that smote me. Otherwise I would have not bought it now but would have waited at least a year.

Again, I personally don't think the V material makes much difference or the new mids. I truly don't think these new drivers or material will in anyway revolutionize Wilson sound. But it was the extreme effort at doing his very best that made me want the XVX. That means something to me: one's very best effort.

Last edited by Charles; 11-14-2019 at 02:07 PM.