View Single Post
Old 01-08-2021, 05:32 PM

Default Free Jazz genre. Any fans?

I’m into most forms of jazz. Free or avant-garde Jazz... I’ve never been able to successfully crack that nut. It just doesn’t connect with me on most occasions. I keep trying... The improvisation and the apparent lack of structure just sounds like everyone is tuning or warming up with their instruments at once...

“Free jazz is an experimental approach to jazz improvisation that developed in the late 1950s and early 1960s when musicians attempted to change or break down jazz conventions, such as regular tempos, tones, and chord changes. Musicians during this period believed that the bebop, hard bop, and modal jazz that had been played before them was too limiting. They became preoccupied with creating something new and exploring new directions. The term "free jazz" has often been combined with or substituted for the term "avant-garde jazz". Europeans tend to favor the term "free improvisation". Others have used "modern jazz", "creative music", and "art music".’

I know why I don’t connect with it. I like structure and form that follows traditional blues and other jazz forms.

“Earlier jazz styles typically were built on a framework of song forms, such as twelve-bar blues or the 32-bar AABA popular song form with chord changes. In free jazz, the dependence on a fixed and pre-established form is eliminated, and the role of improvisation is correspondingly increased.

Other forms of jazz use regular meters and pulsed rhythms, usually in 4/4 or (less often) 3/4. Free jazz retains pulsation and sometimes swings but without regular meter. Frequent accelerando and ritardando give an impression of rhythm that moves like a wave.[1]

Previous jazz forms used harmonic structures, usually cycles of diatonic chords. When improvisation occurred, it was founded on the notes in the chords. Free jazz almost by definition is free of such structures, but also by definition (it is, after all, "jazz" as much as it is "free") it retains much of the language of earlier jazz playing. It is therefore very common to hear diatonic, altered dominant and blues phrases in this music.’

So if there are “Free Jazz’ fans among us, what are your favorites that perhaps can open that door for me to appreciate this alternative to the more traditional Jazz I love?