View Single Post
Old 05-27-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagman View Post
Thanks, I will check that out. In the meantime, I did switch back to 4 Ohm taps. Interesting in that while I'm connected to 8 Ohms, my head is thinking that 4 Ohms is vastly inferior sound, while the truth is, both sound outstanding, but 4 Ohm is just smoother, more robust bass but maybe a hair less tight, the vocals aren't as in your face but more relaxed and in many ways more natural sounding. The overall tone of the 4Ohm connections is fuller/richer but clearly not as detailed and accurate maybe?

Somehow, regardless both connections have their own distinct sound and truly create a very different listening experience, and I just can't decide which one I prefer. I know that to my ears, the 4 Ohm tap offers a wonderfully rich non fatiguing sound and if I had not ever connected to the 8 Ohm tap I doubt I would have ever questioned which is the one best suited to the speakers. It is interesting that B&W said 8 Ohm but some prefer 4 Ohm connections, just personal preference. Mcintosh said either was fine but I got the impression they really like the 4, based on the impendece plot line of these speakers, and the 800 series for that matter. Almost all of the bass requirements are below 4 Ohms, and my speakers drop down to 3.1, with a nominal rate of 8 Ohms.

My confusion still exists because I feel 8 Ohms provide the current that really wakes the speakers up, but it offers a more clinical perhaps even sterile sound, while the 4 Ohm offers a lush, smooth, full sound but I'm now aware that some of the highs are smoothed out, presenting less tonal accuracy. I just can't remember what my Classe CA301 offered as far as taps, but I don't believe there were multiple taps or any choices to be made. So all my attempts at speaker positioning etc. haven't done much to change the tonality of the speakers, it really just seems to me to be all about the Ohm connectivity.
There was a discussion some time ago while Ron from McIntosh was on the forum here. He mentioned that the nominal 8 ohm of B&W's 800's is increased by 3db going from 4 to 8 ohm taps. More SPL basically across all ranges.