View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 12:25 AM
Keeping it real since '75

Default Vidar in home theater?

I have a Datasat RS20i (which supports ATMOS) but have never used it past a 5.2 system. I was thinking of using Vidar amps (probably in mono mode) to power some additional speakers to take advantage of the extra Atmos channels. I would need to get at least 4. My current speakers are all Sonus Faber and I do have a couple Wall Domus speakers I could use in here, I would need to purchase some additional ceiling speakers and I don't necessarily have a brand picked out. I would assume the Vidar are going to be overkill for what I am doing, but its hard to find good review info on the Vidar.

The only concerning information I have seen (from what little I have found) is that the amps themselves run fairly hot. This in and of itself is not a huge issue, but if watching a movie for ~2.5 hours and you have 4 of these running (along with all the other equipment) an amp that runs hot may not be the way to go. The other issue I have read is that the amps clip at higher volume levels. Granted, I don't have speakers picked out at this point, but I would have rather had actual data as to when they clip vs. "they clip at high volume", etc.

Does anyone have experience with these in this use case? Are there any alternatives in this price range I should consider?