View Single Post
Old 08-24-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Eric.......These two fans pull air from the cabinet. They draw enough air from the cabinet to keep the metal grill on top nearly cool to the touch. In addition, the control room is kept at a comfortable 74 degrees which adds to the efficiency of the fan's cooling effect on the interior of the wooden cabinet. There is no issue with overheating.

My original MA230 that I owned back in the 70's did not have fans. I kept the MA230 in an identical cabinet. The metal vent in the top of the cabinet got hot as hell over the power tubes. In fact, over the years of use the grill had four discolored circles in the metal from where the heat off the tubes had cooked the finish. As you can see from my photo above, there is no discoloration on the metal vent in my current McIntosh cabinet. I can place my hand on the metal without discomfort and it is barely warm to the touch. The two SilenX fans do a fine job of evacuating the heat.
Sounds good. I wasn't sure whether the fans were able to pull the heat out fast enough - I know how hot those 7591s get in my MAC1500. Unfortunately there is not enough room on the chassis to set up fans on the MAC the way you have them on the MA230. The mesh on the cabinet has the same heat discoloration that you mention.

Last edited by jdandy; 08-28-2018 at 03:30 PM. Reason: correct typos in the quote