View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 03:49 PM

Default Tweaking, tweaking the MC152

First, I want to apologize for many of my recent posts, but it is the only way I will learn. In 2 previous posts, I asked about changing the speakers to the 4 ohm taps, and weather a more powerful amp than the MC152 would give me what I am looking for.

Today, I did try the 4 ohm taps and my findings are the sound is smoother and has better treble integration on my Golden Ear Triton Reference speakers. The bass is a little less, but my Triton References have a level control on the back of the speaker so that isn't a big deal (right now). I plan on living with this configuration for a few days to sort things out and see if the excitement wears off.

Now my BIG question/observation: I noticed I need to raise the volume control much higher to get the same levels I was getting before. I am running a McIntosh C2500 preamp and before changing to 4 ohms, my normal level was around 30 on the volume control. Now I need to raise it to 40 for the same level. Is this normal when going from 8 to 4 ohms, or should I go back to the 8 ohm setting? I am hoping you Mac experts can shed some light on this for me.