View Single Post
Old 03-03-2020, 10:54 AM

I have been on the hunt for a good all-in-one unit to serve as the hub of my main headphone and 2-channel rig. I'm looking for a device that will function as a streaming DAC, headphone amp, and pre-amp. Right now I'm using the Matrix Audio Element X which is a great unit. I do have one or two small quibbles with it that have me looking at other options.

I have had my sights on the dCS Bartok as an all-in-one unit, but the price is pretty steep. I've had the chance to demo it with my headphones as well as through speakers and really liked what I heard. I also really liked the simplicity of controlling everything from an app. The Mosaic app seems to work pretty seamlessly with the Bartok and I haven't seen any reports of issues.

I'm curious if the M3h with network card could give similar functionality to the Bartok at a more reasonable price point. I haven't seen much online regarding the M3 and even less about the headphone version M3h. It doesn't look like Bricasti has any sort of app for their network streamers (correct me if I'm wrong here) and I'm not sure how easy it would be to control the unit from a phone/iPad.

Does anyone here have any experience with the M3, M3h, or the streaming functions?

Headphone rig: Gustard X16, Topping A90, Hifiman HE6se, Audeze LCD2
2-Channel setup: Okto Research DAC8 Stereo, Bryston 4Bł, Philharmonic Audio BMR Towers, Dual PSA S152 subs